A Brief History of the Edgewater Baptist Church
Host Pastor: Rev Dr. Dylan Toussaint
In 1972 the Jamaica Baptist Union seized the opportunity to set up a Mission at 2 Marie Avenue in the Edgewater Community of Portmore. This was spearheaded by the East Queen Street Baptist Church under the leadership of the late Rev. Dr. J.A. Leo Rhynie and later the Rev. Dr. Horace Russell. Sunday School and Worship Services were then held at that address.
A chapel was erected at 23 North Edgewater Avenue and on 23rd April 1978, it was opened and dedicated, thus becoming a part of the East Queen Street/Denham Town Circuit. On that day 47 members were registered as foundation members.
The acquisition of a manse was realized in 1983 and was later remodelled.
The church expanded its outreach programme by establishing a Mission in the Waterford Community and in 1987 a Church was opened and dedicated.
It is recorded that on April 24, 1988 the Edgewater Church relinquished her ties with the East Queen Street/Denham Town Circuit and became the Edgewater/Waterford Circuit of Baptist Churches.
Major expansion to the chapel began in 1998. It was completed in the year 2000 and dedicated in July of that same year. Work on the perimeter wall, as well as the paving of the churchyard, was completed, during the period 2000 to 2002.
Over these 35 years the church has endeavoured to keep her membership focused and involved, to the glory of God, and for the building up of their spirituality.
Our membership continues to grow in spite of deaths and migration. Presently there are over 400 members on record. Thus the following ministries have been maintained:
- Bible studies – with over 100 members in attendance
- Family Bible Hour (Sunday School)
- Youth Fellowship
- Girls’ Brigade
- Boys’ Brigade
- Women’s Federation
- Usher Board
- Music Ministry
- Young Adults Group
- Children’s Church
- Property Management Committee
The Outreach Programme includes:
- Healing & Counselling Ministry
- Dorcas Ministry
- Care Ministry
- A Library Service
- Scholarship Fund
- Dedication of babies is a regular feature of our Worship Service each month.
- A Learning Centre and Computer programme are the recent additions to our outreach activities
Over the years the following Ministers served us faithfully:
- Rev. Dr. Horace Russell – Overseer Pastor
- Rev. A. E. Brown (a retired Pastor – (deceased)
- Rev. Neville Callam (Associate Pastor in the Circuit)
- Rev. Errol Bean – Associate Pastor in the Circuit
- Rev. Ronald Walters – visiting Pastor on a regular basis.
- Rev. Horace Roberts – Pastor (deceased)
- Rev. Karl Henlin – Moderator
- Rev. Norman Mills – Pastor
- Rev. Dr. Renford Maddix – Moderator (deceased)
- Rev. Dr. Dylan F. Toussaint – Present Pastor.
Since establishment of the church, fourteen (14) deacons have been commissioned. One now serves at the Waterford Church.
Under the present leadership of the Rev. Dr. Dylan Toussaint who assumed responsibility March 2002, the Church continues her mandate to evangelize and to make disciples for Kingdom building, focusing on the theme “Knowing Christ, Making Him Known.” The main areas of emphasis guiding the Church are Evangelism, Discipleship, Worship, Fellowship and Outreach.
As a Church, we are confident that “…He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”